Tuesday, August 25, 2015
Upon booting up the Mega Man Legacy Collection, gamers will be greeted with the classic 8-bit menu where they can jump into games, challenges, music and controls. In selecting the "games" option, players will have the option to choose from Mega Man 1-6 while exploring everything the new release has to offer. If you are not familiar with Mega Man for some odd reason, the title's simple database can familiarize you with some of the characters and story.
The game allows for fans to play in the original modes from the eighties to give the true feel of playing the classic titles. The platformer offers up the same insane fun that gamers originally experienced with Capcom's iconic blue bomber while giving newcomers a taste of what made the game such a classic.
The storyline for Mega Man is one that is familiarly reminiscent of its times with the mad scientist Dr. Wily trying to take over the world by reprogramming six powerful robots to do his bidding. The inventor of the robots, Dr. Light, can not stand to see his precious creations wreak such chaos, so in return he reprograms his housekeeping robot Rock into a fighting one named Mega Man. This is how the action-packed story begins as Mega Man sets off on many adventures over the next few titles to defeat evil while running, jumping and climbing through intense platformer levels designed to stay compelling throughout the series.
If you are looking for more replay value, Mega Man Legacy Collection also includes a new Challenge Mode that remixes gameplay segments from all six games with fun new objectives offering up an entirely new experience for the series. The collection features vibrantly colorful graphics with HD flair, immersive soundtrack and simple controls from the original game alongside some of the same glitches as well. Rather you are a diehard fan of Mega Man or just starting out--the Mega Man Legacy Collection is a terrific deal for re-experiencing all of the fun that the classic 8-bit games had to offer. What are you waiting for? Get your copy today on PC, Xbox One and PS4!
Score: 8.5 out of 10
- Six classic games in one – Play a piece of video game history with the original six Mega Man games and experience the origins of the classic series.
- 8-bit style with HD flair – The games retain their retro 8-bit style with an added HD finish, giving a crisp, clean look to the charming, classic sprites.
- Challenge remix mode for new and veteran players – The robust new Challenge Mode remixes gameplay from all six games for a new type of challenge. It provides both increasingly difficult trials for experienced players and also teaches newcomers to become familiar with the style of the games and tackle some of the trickier areas.
- Museum of the era – The Museum Mode features a massive repository of history and art collected from the era of the games in this collection. Take a look back at the history of Mega Man with loads of information, high-res art, concept pieces, sketches and more in the Museum.
- Developed with an all-new engine – Using the newly developed Eclipse Engine, Capcom and Digital Eclipse are able to archive these six pieces of video game history with faithful reproductions of the originals for a new generation of gamers.
- Leaderboards and video replays – Fans will be able to watch video replays of the top players on the leaderboards, showcasing a whole new generation of Mega Man talent!