Tuesday, September 16, 2014
Usually games are very limited in nature when it comes to tablets but not with Skylanders Trap Team. On September 11th, BioGamer Girl set down at the Toys for Bob studio to try out Skylanders Trap Team on iPad, and we weren't expecting much to say the least. The first thing players will notice with the game on tablets is that they finally have the option to use a controller to play! One might expect that the controller would be awkward or something that was uncomfortable to play with, but not the one included with Skylanders Trap Team. The controller for the tablet version fits nicely in your hands and was easy to use. Frankly, it played exactly like one you would you use for your console system.
Skylanders Trap Team has been uniquely designed for tablets but manages to retain the same gameplay found on consoles. The portal for tablet devices has been creatively designed so that it actually holds up the device while you are playing. It is something very simple in nature but is pure genius on the part of the creators. The two things I hate about my iPad is having no controller and playing games on a flat surface. Magically, those two exact things are fixed with Skylanders Trap Team on tablets!
However, the most important thing is how the game plays on tablet devices, and Skylanders Trap Team is the exact same game as on console! When it came down to it--Skylanders Trap Team looks, sounds and plays beautifully on tablets. The game is literally the best title I have ever played on the iPad! No joke. Skylanders Trap Team on tablets manages to offer the exact same experience as on consoles but with the added option of portability. We can't wait to play the full game when it releases on October 5th, and Skylanders Trap Team is finally giving us a reason to be excited for a tablet release!
Make sure to check out our full preview with Skylanders Trap Team Part 1 & Part 2. For now check out the new trailer for Skylanders Trap Team on tablets below alongside the full press release. To learn more, visit the official Skylanders Trap Team website.
From the Press Release
Skylanders is redefining the Toys-to-Life phenomenon with yet another ground-breaking innovation, Skylanders Trap Team. With Skylanders Trap Team, players can take characters out of the game and place them into physical “Traps” that kids can take with them, effectively bringing Life to Toys.
Now, for the first time in franchise history, Activision Publishing, Inc. is bringing the full AAA console experience of a Skylanders game to tablet devices with the Skylanders Trap Team Tablet Starter Pack. Launching day-and-date with the console version, the Skylanders Trap Team Tablet Starter Pack will include a Bluetooth© version of the Traptanium Portal, a new ring of magical energy which reverses the magic of the Toys-to-Life category by letting players bring digital characters into the physical world. The new portal gives players the freedom to dock their tablet, providing a hands-free gaming experience. The Skylanders Trap Team Tablet Starter Pack will also include a Bluetooth®-enabled controller for the best possible play experience; a built-in tablet stand; two Skylanders characters; two Traps; and a display tray that lets Portal Masters keep track of the Traps they’ve collected and which villains they have trapped.
Like the console version of the game, all 175 existing Skylanders toys will be forward compatible and playable across all platforms, truly allowing Portal Masters to play wherever and whenever they want. Delivering another meaningful technological leap to the Skylanders franchise, the launch of Skylanders Trap Team on tablet underscores Activision’s continued commitment to bringing significant innovation to the Toys-to-Life category that the company firmly established in 2011.
The game introduces more than 50 new playable Skylanders heroes and more than 40 villains in an all-new adventure, delivering a diverse and dynamic story-driven gameplay experience filled with adventure, combat, puzzles, mini games, activities and platforming, all set within a variety of lush, compelling environments.
- Unprecedented Tablet Innovation – Skylanders Trap Team on tablet represents a huge technological leap for the Toys-to-Life category as one of the first AAA experiences of its kind on the platform. The team is delivering a feat of development innovation with a game that was built alongside the console versions, driving an unparalleled level of performance from the tablet devices that it supports.
- Complete Toys-to-Life, Life to Toys Tablet Experience – The Skylanders Trap Team Tablet Starter Pack gives fans everything they need for a rich gameplay experience wherever and whenever they want to play. Tablet players will experience the Skylanders Trap Team innovation through a Bluetooth version of the Traptanium Portal and Bluetooth© controller. They can also play the full game on their tablets using touch controls and two digital Skylanders characters and two digital Traps.
- Two Ways to Play – Once players purchase the tablet Starter Pack and download the game via their tablet’s app store, the game will recognize the Traptanium Portal and unlock the full experience. Players will experience the same AAA content they come to expect from Skylanders console games, but with two ways to play:
- “Controller” –– Fans can play the game just like the console version using the tablet-specific Traptanium Portal and toys with the custom Bluetooth Skylanders game controller included in the Starter Pack.
- “Touch Controls” – For players who prefer to use touch controls instead of a controller, fans have the option to play the game just using on-screen touch controls.
- Innovative Gameplay – In Skylanders Trap Team, you can play as a Skylander or capture Skylands’ most wanted foes and unleash them for good. It’s up to Portal Masters to find these villains and capture them inside the new Traps that transport the villains into the real world via the Traptanium Portal. Once trapped, players can return the villain to Skylands as a playable character. This exciting new play pattern gives fans the option to switch between playing as a Skylander hero or a villain at any time, creating fun and unique “tag team” gameplay.
Activision Publishing, Inc.
Toys for Bob (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii)
Beenox (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Wii U, 3DS)
Vicarious Visions (Tablet)
Apple iPad 3rd Generation, iPad 4th Generation, iPad Mini Retina, iPad Air
Kindle Fire HDX (7” & 8.9”)
Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro (8.4”, 10.1”, 12.2”)
Samsung Galaxy Tab S (8.4”, 10.5”)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
October 5, 2014 (North America), October 10, 2014 (EU)
October 2, 2014 (Australia)
$74.99 – Skylanders Trap Team Starter Pack – Console/Tablet
$14.99 – Individual Trap Master toy
$9.99 – Individual Core Skylanders toy
$5.99 – Individual Trap toy
ESRB Rating: E10+