The Walking Dead: Episode 5: No Time Left (Video Game Review)
The new episode returns with the group trapped in a room and now must figure out how they are going to make it out alive and save Clementine in the process. Things continue to turn to crap, and it starts with Lee having to decide rather to cut off his arm or not. If you thought the ending of Episode 4 was just a horrible nightmare--well you will soon face the harsh reality--our hero Lee was bitten by a damn zombie! Why Telltale, Why?! As a player, I have become very attached to the characters of Lee, Kenny and Clementine. The three are like family and the last thing I wanted is for any of them to be killed off. Well gamers, pull up your big boy underwear because shit just got real.
While most of the decisions you make throughout the game do not have that much impact on the end-game--I had hope that maybe this time I could save the characters I love. That making the right decisions would in fact give me the ending that I wanted. Oh was I wrong, so wrong. No matter what you decide, the world is going to take everything away from you that you worked so hard for.
Depending on your previous choices, the group you have left will set out on a hurried quest to save Clementine before Lee turns full-on zombie. The gameplay is still intense and you must make quick decisions to continue the action-packed story. The beautiful graphics make Episode 5 seem more like a work of art than the video game it is. Players will feel as though they are opening up a classic book and experiencing the tragic story within. The amazing voice-over work and creepy soundtrack will make the conversations between the characters even more tear-jerking than in previous episodes.
Telltale managed to take The Walking Dead to another level and to get inside your head and heart like no other franchise. Players will be glad they experienced such a moment in history, as they will never forget the journey that Telltale has given them, and the experience of actually giving a crap about the characters in a game. The final episode, Episode 5: No Time Left, will give players an epic zombie stand-off, incredible twists and turns, and leave them with closure and regret. While giving away any more of the story would ruin it for those who haven't picked it up--players will find that Lee's final moments are something straight out of a horrific fairytale. The transformation he has made from the first episode to his final moments are legendary and unforgettable. I could only cry for the young Clementine--this beautiful little girl full of spirit--who has managed to lose everyone she has cared for. However, the sun comes out from over the horizon revealing a new strength inside this tiny soul, and we can only hope that better things are ahead for her.
Guys and gals, the game may be over but it will never be forgotten. Telltale Games managed to deliver everything that fans wanted in the finale, and if you haven't played it yet, then you are missing out on one of the greatest experiences in video game history!
Developed and Distributed by Telltale Games
Available for Xbox 360 (Reviewed), PlayStation 3, PC, Mac & iOS
Rated M for Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Strong Language & Suggestive Themes
- A tailored game experience – Live with the profound and lasting consequences of the decisions that you make in each episode.
- Your actions and choices will affect how your story plays out across the entire series.
- Experience events, meet people and visit locations that foreshadow the story of Deputy Sheriff Rick Grimes. Meet Glenn before he heads to Atlanta, explore Hershel’s farm before Rick and his group of survivors arrive and before the barn becomes a notorious location in Walking Dead lore.
- You’ll be forced to make decisions that are not only difficult, but that will require you to make an almost immediate choice. There’s no time to ponder when the undead are pounding the door down!
- An Adventure Horror game of 5 episodes. Features meaningful decision-making, exploration, problem solving and a constant fight for survival in a world overrun by the undead.
- Artwork inspired by the original comic books.